Quesadillas are an easy, quick, tasty dish. Or, frustrating and disappointing – depending on how the making goes that day.
They’re made up of simple ingredients: chicken, cheese, peppers, salsa, sour cream, tortillas and Cajun seasoning. The process is also simple: make the mix, spread it on half a tortilla, fold the other half of the tortilla over the mix, pan fry until the cheese is gooey and the tortillas are crisp, flipping once during cooking.
Serve with a salad and there is another easy, quick weeknight dinner to put into rotation. A tip for getting the best results: use the frying pan method. Putting them in the oven results in sloppy, wet quesadillas that won’t stay together and make a big mess. And can put the maker of the quesadillas into a bit of a bad mood. The good news is that one nice looking quesadilla was salvaged for a photo (a dark photo though, my apologies. I’m taking all these photos with an iPhone and in Canadian low-light winter evenings) for this post! We did eat the others though – it just wasn’t a tidy affair.
Now go make yourself a dang quesa-dilla!
Yield: 4 Quesadillas
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cooking Time: 20 minutes
2 chicken breasts
Lactose-Free Cheese, grated
1/4 green pepper, diced
1/4 red pepper, diced
3 tbsp salsa
4 flour tortillas
Sour cream (treated with Lactaid drops OR try using Tofutti Sour Supreme)
1. Place chicken breasts on a baking pan. Sprinkle generously with the chili powder and Cajun spice. Don’t be afraid of over-seasoning – this is the only flavouring you will be adding.
2. Bake in oven for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
3. Prepare the quesadilla mix by grating the cheese and dicing the peppers. When chicken is cool enough to handle, dice that too.
4. Combine the chicken, peppers, cheese and 3 tablespoons of salsa in a bowl. Mix thoroughly.
5. Spoon about a half cup of the mixture on half of a tortilla. Fold the other half of the tortilla over top of the mixture. Pat down the top half of the tortilla so it sticks to the mixture.
6. Carefully move the quesadilla to a frying pan. Cook over medium heat until the tortilla has browned and the cheese has melted, flipping halfway through.
7. Cut into 4 pieces and serve with a side of salsa and sour cream.