I’m home sick from work today. I was yesterday too. I have an infection so bad, my eyes are almost swollen shut. It’s not a pretty sight. My head hurts, my eyes hurt, and I just wish for this to go away. I can’t wait to look normal again.
I decided I’d like soup for lunch today. I’d already watched TLC all morning, had made my way through the websites I normally like to browse through, and had even played a few levels of Mario Brothers on my Wii. I thought soup would be the perfect thing to eat on a sick day. I could slurp a bowl of soup, then get right back to my busy schedule of lounging on the couch watching daytime television. I even got as far as deciding where to order it from so I didn’t have to cook. Then I saw my face in the mirror, and remembered that I couldn’t go out in public!
So I browsed through my pantry and fridge. I had a lot of broccoli waiting to be used, lots of cheddar cheese and 2 large containers of vegetable stock. I really wanted pho, but to get that I’d have to leave my house. So I settled for Broccoli Cheddar Soup. With Garlic Rosemary Cheddar Biscuits. It was delicious, just as I’d hoped. Now, once I finish this post, I’m off to have a nap. After one more biscuit. Then I think I’ll watch Lord of the Rings. Or play Legend of Zelda.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup and Garlic Rosemary Cheddar Biscuits
Yield: About 6 cups of soup and 4 biscuits
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cooking Time: 1 hour
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Ingredients:
1/4 cup lactose-free butter (or vegan margarine)
1/4 cup flour
1 cup lactose-free skim milk
1 cup lactose-free heavy cream
2 cups vegetable stock (I used homemade, but store-bought would work just as well)
1 lb fresh broccoli, chopped
3 small carrots, julienned
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan.
2. Once butter has melted, add the flour. Stir until a thick paste is made, and cook this for 3 – 5 minutes, or until browned.
3. Add the milk and cream to the flour mixture. Stir until the flour loosens and the mixture is smooth.
4. Add the vegetable broth to the cream mixture, and stir until combined. Simmer for 20 – 30 minutes.
5. Add the broccoli and carrots to the cream broth. Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened.
6. Being very careful not to splash hot broth on you, use an immersion blender to purée the mixture. You could also use a blender to do this task, or leave the vegetables the way they are.
7. Once the vegetables are the texture that you’d like, stir in the grated cheese. Heat over low heat until the cheese has melted. Serve with a Garlic Rosemary Cheddar Biscuit (recipe to follow).
(Adapted from Broccoli Cheddar Soup – Panera Style by My Blessed Life at http://myblessedlife.net/2010/03/broccoli-cheddar-soup-panera-style.html)
Garlic Rosemary Cheddar Biscuits Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp garlic, minced
3/4 cup lactose-free skim milk
2 tbsp lactose-free butter or vegan margarine
1 tsp fresh or dried rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking pan with a slipat or parchment paper and set aside.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
3. Add the milk, cheese and garlic. Stir until the dough just pulls together. Add more milk or flour if the consistency of the dough is too wet or too dry.
4. Drop the biscuit dough by spoonful on the lined pan.
5. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes, or until the tops of the biscuits have browned.
6. Melt the butter in a small bowl. Break down the rosemary until a fine powder. Stir in the rosemary into the melted butter.
7. Brush the tops of the warm biscuits with the melted butter and rosemary. Enjoy with a warm bowl of soup or on their own.
(Adapted from Garlic Cheddar Biscuits by Sugared Whisk at http://www.sugaredwhisk.com/2011/garlic-cheddar-biscuits/)