Tonight is the first night in over a month that I haven’t had something going on. I had all sorts of plans for this night. Instead of doing anything of them, I sat at my computer eating Cheerios out of the box. After admitting my cereal eating ways to my sister, I decided I should actually eat a real meal for dinner; I just didn’t feel like cooking for myself. I thought about ordering dinner, and even got as far as entering the number for a takeout place, but guilt over being wasteful got the better of me.
I made myself a Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad. I made everything from scratch, in under 20 minutes and it was pretty darn tasty. I’m so proud of myself for using ingredients I had (and a few new ones) instead of ordering way too much of something that I didn’t really need. Now that I’m fed, I have the rest of this lovely evening to enjoy doing nothing.
Lactose-Free Caesar Salad
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 10 minutes
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp white vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp light mayonnaise
1 chicken breast (optional)
2 tsp olive oil
1 head of romaine lettuce
2 slices of bacon
1/4 loaf of Baguette or French Bread
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Parmesan, for topping
1. Add all ingredients for the dressing in a container with a air-tight lid. Shake the container until all ingredients are combined. Set aside.
2. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Slice bread into small cubes. Add to a bowl, and drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil, salt and garlic powder. Toss to cover bread evenly.
4. Lay bread in a single layer on baking pan. Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until browned and crisp.
5. If making this into a Chicken Caesar Salad, add remaining 1 tsp of olive oil to a frying pan. Cook the chicken until browned and cooked all the way through; there should be no pink remaining.
6. Remove the cooked chicken, and allow to rest.
7. Cut the bacon into small pieces. Add to the frying pan and cook until crispy.
8. Wash and tear the lettuce into bite-size pieces.
9. Combine the lettuce, chicken, bacon, and croutons in a bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat evenly.
10. Transfer the mixed salad to a serving dish. Top with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
(Adapted from The Ultimate Caesar Salad Recipe at Canadian Living)