The other night we had round two of Italian Dinner Date Night. I made Bobatt Neapolitan style Spicy Salami Pizza with Honey (or as close to it as I could recreate in my non-woodfire, not-so-hot blazing hot oven). It was one of my best pizzas yet. Even better though was dessert. For dessert, I made him a masterpiece. Pizza dough, homemade nutella, salted caramel sauce, bananas, strawberries and whipped cream. I call it Salted Caramel Nutella Dessert Pizza, and not to brag or anything, but it was pretty darn amazing. I hope you like this one too!
Salted Caramel Nutella Dessert Pizza
Yield: 2 personal size pizzas or 1 large pizza
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cooking Time 8 – 10 minutes
Note: For this recipe, I used several recipes I’ve already posted. I’ve attached a link at the ingredients if you’re interested in a more detailed explanation. These include how to roast and peel the hazelnuts if you’re starting from scratch in this recipe. I happened to have leftover roasted hazelnuts, so I used those instead of roasting more. I also used only half of the dough recipe for this dessert pizza. The other half I turned into a pepperoni pizza for dinner.
3/4 cup warm water (105 degrees F)
1/2 tsp of active-dry yeast
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1. About 30 minutes to 1 hour before baking, pre-heat your oven to at least 500 degrees. If you have a baking stone, put it on a rack in the lower-middle part of the oven. A hot pizza stone is the key to perfect crust!
2. In a glass measuring cup (or small bowl), add the yeast to the warm water. Use a fork to stir the yeast into the water. Let this rest for about 5 minutes. The yeast should dissolve and foam slightly.
3. Add the flour, salt and yeast/water mixture and olive oil to the bowl of your stand mixer outfitted with the hook attachment.
4. Mix the ingredients on low-speed until combined. Add more water a bit at a time if the dough isn’t coming together.
5. Once the dough has pulled together, turn up the mixer to medium speed. Allow the dough to be kneaded here for about 5 minutes. It should be smooth and elastic when you pull it off the hook.
6. If making 2 pizzas, cut the dough in half. If not, shape away. Use a rolling pin to start the rolling out process. Once you’ve gotten a semi-flat circle, it’s time to use your hands. Be as careful or adventurous as you wish – just try not to let the crust hit the floor! Pull, toss and shape until you’re happy with it. If it’s not perfectly circular, don’t worry – that look is what I call rustic.
1 cup toasted hazelnuts, skins removed
1/4 cup cocoa
4 tbsp lactose-free milk (or milk alternative)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1. Place hazelnuts in a food processor. Blend continuously until a smooth butter starts to form.
2. Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
3. Add the cocoa, salt and vanilla. Put the lid on and blend again.
4. While the food processor is running, slowly pour the milk and sugar mixture into the butter until a paste forms (you might not need all the milk).
9. Scrape down the sides and continue to mix until it reaches the consistency you’d like. You might want to run the mixture through a sieve if you’d like a smoother texture.
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup lactose-free whipping cream (I treat whipping cream with Lactaid drops)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1. Put the sugar and water in a medium-sized heavy saucepan. Turn the heat to medium high, and cook without stirring.
2. When the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has started bubble and turn brown in spots, gently swirl the pot to mix.
3. The sugar will start to brown more rapidly. When it is an even golden colour, remove from heat and pour in the cream and vanilla. Carefully stir – the cream will cause the caramel to bubble up and even spit. If the caramel isn’t smooth yet, put back on the cooling burner and continue to stir. The residual heat will warm up the sugar and help the mixture relax.
A handful of fresh strawberries
Lactose-free whipped cream
1. If you haven’t already, preheat your oven to 500 degrees F. Let it get really hot – this takes about 30 minutes.
2. If you’re making your own Nutella, process the ingredients for this in your food processor as indicated above.
3. Prepare the pizza dough as indicated above, then roll out the pizza dough on a pizza peel dusted with cornmeal or flower.
4. Spread a healthy amount of nutella all the way to the edges of the dough.
5. Slip the pizza into the oven. Cook until the crust has risen and is a golden brown colour.
6. While the pizza is cooking, prepare the caramel sauce as indicated above.
7. When the pizza is done, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
8. Prepare your whipped cream, strawberries and bananas.
9. Top the nutella pizza with the cut strawberries and bananas, add some dallops of the whipped cream, and top the whole thing of with a drizzle of the caramel sauce.
10. Cut into pieces and enjoy!