It’s June you guys! That means only 1 month to summer vacation, and 1 month to Stampede week. In an effort to prepare for the rigors of Stampede week, Outriders has decided to get fit. We start this Monday, and are going 30 days of exercise and healthy eating. We’ll collect (or lose) points, and the winner will be announced at Sneak-a-peek.
My first effort of a healthy, home-cooked meal on this challenge was a doozie. Maple Dijon BBQ Salmon that I served with sautéed spinach and mashed baked potatoes. My bet is the mashed potatoes weren’t exactly ‘challenge’ worthy, but it technically doesn’t start until Monday, so I ate them anyway. The salmon and spinach were tasty and healthy – they will be a repeat during the next 30 days! Here is the delicious salmon recipe. The spinach recipe will come soon.
Maple Dijon BBQ Salmon
Yield: 2 salmon filets
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cooking Time: 6 – 8 minutes
2, 4-6 oz salmon filets
1 tbsp melted lactose-free butter or vegan margarine
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Scrub your barbecue grill with a wire brush. This will help the salmon to not stick to the grill. Pre-heat barbecue to as high as yours will go.
2. Rinse salmon and pat dry with paper towel.
3. Rub with each filet with olive oil on all sides.
4. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
5. Prepare glaze by whisking the melted butter, Dijon mustard and maple syrup together until smooth. Put aside.
6. Once the barbecue is hot, grill salmon flat side down for 2 – 3 minutes.
7. Gently flip the salmon and grill for another 2 – 3 minutes.
8. Apply the glaze, and gently flip again, glazed side down. Grill for 1 – 2 minutes.
9. Apply the glaze to the top, and gently flip one last time. Grill for 1 – 2 minutes.
10. Remove from grill and serve immediately.