Bobatt and I have been pretty terrible lately for cooking and eating at home. It’s Saturday night, and we were hungry. We looked online at various delivery sites, and came up with nothing we’d want to eat that could be brought to us. So we were forced to make our own food or starve. We had 2 options for a home cooked meal: Kraft Dinner or something with pasta but with no meat. The Kraft Dinner was looking like the winner until we found the bacon in the fridge. In an effort to be more adult, we settled on Spaghetti Carbonara. Just as easy as KD, but with real ingredients. Pasta, bacon, egg, pepper and parmesan. I even stole a few sprigs of parsley from my herb garden to bring the food styling up a notch. This was a quick and easy meal that probably cooked faster than the time we spent searching for delivery. It was just as pretty as delivery, just as tasty (no bias there), and still warm. We always forget that we know easy, quick recipes, and that we do like to cook our own meals. Now that we’ve been reminded, the KD is back in the cupboard, and we’re vowing to dig deeper for real, home-cooked food.
Yield: 2 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes
250 g spaghetti
2 slices bacon
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Cook spaghetti until al dente (roughly 7 minutes for us).
3. While spaghetti is cooking, slice bacon into lardons and cook until crispy.
4. Lightly beat the egg.
5. Drain pasta and reserve a little of the cooking water in the pot.
6. Return the pasta to the pot with the reserved cooking water, add the bacon and egg, and stir vigorously. (The residual heat cooks the egg, creating a creamy sauce. Stir quickly though, so you get a sauce and not egg chunks).
7. Season with salt and pepper, heavy on the pepper. Top with as much Parmesan cheese as you please.